1. Auburn (1): The Tigers have won 17 in a row and looked like one of the favorites to win the title.
2. Gonzaga (2): This was supposed to be a challenging WCC. It hasn’t happened yet. Zags have won 10 straight.
3. Purdue (5): The Boilermakers have been challenged but have stepped up to the moment by winning at Illinois and then on Sunday at the buzzer against Ohio State.
4. Kentucky (6): The Wildcats dominance at Kansas was one of the most impressive wins of the season. Keion Brooks was the latest ‘Cat to shine with 27 points in the 80-62 win.
5. UCLA (10): The Bruins took down Arizona and went 3-0 on the week. Jules Bernard has emerged as a leading figure on this team.
6. Duke (7): The Blue Devils have some blemishes but they still rise when called upon. This team has title chops.
7. Houston (11): Time to start considering Kelvin Sampson for national coach of the year. The injury-riddled Cougars have won 10 in a row.
8. Arizona (3): The Wildcats got blitzed at UCLA, but this squad will be in the Pac-12 title race.
9. Kansas (4): I’m going to let the Kentucky loss be more of an anomaly. The Jayhawks have played with fire, but this team still has the goods.
10. Illinois (14): The Illini beat Michigan State without Kofi Cockburn. A healthy Illinois can win the whole thing.
11. Baylor (8): The reigning champs have played a rugged schedule and there is no shame in losing at Alabama.
12. Villanova (12): The Wildcats are still the class of the Big East until Providence knocks them from the perch.
13. Michigan State (9): The Spartans blitzed rival Michigan. But the loss to Illinois stings.
14. Wisconsin (13): The Badgers keep finding ways to win and pulled out Ws at Nebraska and over Minnesota.
15. Ohio State (15): No reason to drop the Buckeyes after the buzzer-beating loss at Purdue.
16. Providence (17): The Friars probably won’t make up the three COVID-postponed games. But they may not need them since they could be the Big East champs with or without them.
17. Texas Tech (18): Mark Adams will be/should be a top 10 national coach of the year candidate with the way the Red Raiders have played.
18. Alabama (26): Look, good Alabama is worthy of being top 20 (see win over Baylor) but then bad Alabama (losing to Georgia) wouldn’t have them ranked. I’ll still stick with the latest result this week.
19. Marquette (23): The Golden Eagles had a great chance to win at Providence. Shaka Smart has Marquette all the way in the field. What a job he has done.
20. Oregon (19): The Ducks obliterated rival Oregon State. And, like Alabama, good Oregon is very, very good.
21. UConn (22): A healthy Huskies has the look of being a second-weekend team.
22. Arkansas (24): The Hogs have won six straight and suddenly all is well again in Fayetteville.
23. Boise State (25): The Broncos have won 14 straight and are now the team to beat in the Mountain West.
24. Texas (NR): Chris Beard’s squad beat Tennessee and has won three in a row.
25. Miami (30): The ‘Canes are having one of those seasons as Charlie Moore hits a half-court shot to win at Virginia Tech.